Lawsuit Filed by Parents in Texas After Their Three-Year-Old Son Dies from a Brain-Eating Amoeba
The parents of a three-year-old boy who died after being infected by a rare brain-eating amoeba that was found at a Texas splash pad he visited, have filed a lawsuit against the city of Arlington. Bakari Williams, the son of Tariq and Kayla Mitchell, died on September 11th after being hospitalized with primary amebic meningoencephalitis, which is a rare and typically fatal infection that is caused by the naegleria fowleri amoeba. People are infected when the water containing the amoeba enters the body through the nose.
The CDC found the amoeba in water samples collected from the splash pad Bakari visited. A city official also stated that a review found gaps in their daily inspection program. This resulted in maintenance standards not being met at the splash pad. The lawsuit said that city employees failed to adequately chlorinate and monitor the city’s splash pad water, making the splash pad dangerous for visitors. According to one of the family’s attorneys, if there had been a little more chlorine, Bakari would still be here today. All four of the city’s splash pads have been closed for the remainder of the year.
Sorrels Law represents individuals and business who have been injured by the wrongful acts of others. Whether it involves a physical injury, personal injury, wrongful death, product failure, fire, explosion, medical malpractice, breach of contract, fraud, business theft or business disputes, call the lawyers at Sorrels Law at 713-496-1100. Or email at Help@SorrelsLaw.com. The Sorrels Law website address is www.SorrelsLaw.com.